4 Dental Emergency Preparedness Tips
A sudden dental emergency can be scary and serious. Tooth fractures, mouth injuries, and other problems may occur while you’re eating, playing, or even just talking. If you do the wrong thing during a dental emergency, you could risk losing a permanent tooth. It’s important to know what to do while you wait to obtain help from an emergency dentist. First, remain calm. Next, contact your dentist in Waldorf for advice, or make plans to visit an emergency room if the problem is serious.
The following tips can help you deal with four common dental emergencies:
- Mouth Injury – Soft tissue injuries such as cuts, tears, and lacerations can be serious if there is severe bleeding. Clean the wound with warm water, and take the victim to an oral surgeon for emergency dental services or to an emergency room for care.
- Knocked-Out Tooth – To save a knocked-out tooth, the first priority is to get to a dentist within the first hour, when you have the best chance of success. Hold the tooth by its crown only and never touch the root. Rinse the tooth gently, but don’t scrub it. Keep it moist. If you can’t replace the tooth in the mouth, wrap it in gauze and store it in milk or saline solution.
- Broken or Fractured Tooth – If your tooth is broken or appears to be fractured, rinse it with warm water. Apply an ice pack to your face to lessen swelling. Take ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain if necessary—do not use aspirin. See your dentist in Waldorf as soon as possible to determine if restorative procedures are needed.
- Loose Tooth – If a tooth becomes loose or misaligned, attempt to gently reposition it. Never force the tooth back into place. Seek emergency dental services immediately.
Always have a dental emergency kit nearby containing the following items:
- Contact information for your dentist
- Alternate information for an emergency dental services provider
- Over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen (do not use aspirin)
- Gauze (sterile)
- Clean cloth
- Saline solution
- A small container with a lid
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Waldorf, call Drs. Lasher and Harriman at Dental One Associates of Waldorf today at (301) 861-0665 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Waldorf. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Drs. Lasher and Harriman at Dental One Associates of Waldorf, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Drs. Lasher and Harriman at Dental One Associates of Waldorf.